:: Home :: FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Standard mod effects (Under construction)

Skale Tracker Forum Index -> Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
st3vie
Skale Administrator

Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 4:13 pm    Post subject: Standard mod effects (Under construction)

Foreword

In this tutorial we will cover the standard "old mod effects", as they will be implemented in the final version of Skale tracker. Though, this tutorial is for beginners (or trackers that want to review some information), it is required to know the basics of editing pattern data, like inserting notes. Knowledge of effects and such, isn't required, but could be useful. Some basic musical knowledge is recommended. (e.g. what are notes, what's a chord, etc.)

The structure of the tutorial will have chapters for each effect. Each of these chapters can contain various parts of information,
like an explanation of the effect, how the use it, an example of the usage and sometimes extra background information. The extra information is 'extra', meaning that it's not required to know this for tracking.

Introduction

The Effects
(NOTE: in all examples, a looped sample is used)

0 - Arpeggio

Explanation:
Arpeggio, can be explained and is often also known as a "broken chord". Instead of playing the notes of a chord simultanously, the notes are played one after the other.

Usage:
0xy - where the X and Y are the distances in half notes higher than the base note.

Example:
Code:
00 C-5 01 .. 047
01           047
02           047
03           047

In the example, the base note is C-5 from sample 01. The second note will be 4 half notes higher than C-5, and the third note will be 7 half notes higher than C-5. This means that the notes that will be played are:
base note:
C-5
second note:
C-5 + 4 half notes = E-5
Code:
   1  2  3  4
C  C# D  D# E
third note:
C-5 + 7 half notes = G-5
Code:
   1  2  3  4  5  6  7
C  C# D  D# E  F  F# G

Extra information:
Arpeggio is Italian, meaning 'in the manner of a harp'.

1 - Portamento up
*depending on song speed
**last value greater than 00 memorized

Explanation:
Glides from one note to the next in pitch. Though, in this case however, there isn't a specific 'target' note. This effect just glides the pitch up from the base note.

Usage:
1xx - where XX is the step size of the slide, ranging from 01 to FF.

The last used step size for portamento up, is also memorized for the '2 - portamento down' effect!

Example 1
Code:
00 C-5 01 .. 104
01           100
02           107
03           100
04           000
05           100

Let's take a look, what happens in this example. On row 00, a sample is starting to play and the pitch is moved up with step size 04. On row 01 pitch is moved up, but since the argument is '00', the last value other than '00' is used (in this case the value '04' from the previous row). On row 02 the pitch is moved up with step size 07. On row 03, there's again no argument, so the last used value other than '00' is used (in this case the value '07' from the previous row). On row 04 nothing special is happening. The note just plays on. On row 05 the pitch is moved up with the last used value other than '00'; in this case the value '07' from row 02.

Example 2
Code:
00 C-5 01 .. 104
01           104
02           107
03           107
04           000
05           107

This second example has the same effect, as example 1, but in example 1 the argument value '00' was used (which will use the last used value greater than zero), and in example 2 not. So, in example 1, we save ourselves from from more typing compared to example 2. You could use this when you are using portamento over a longer range in a pattern.

Extra information:
Portamento is Italian, meaning 'carrying'. Often confused with 'glissando' (from French 'glisser', meaning 'to slide'), which is rapidly sliding up or down the scale, in which every tone or semitone can be clearly heard, whereas with portamento, this is not the case!

2 - Portamento down
This effect is the same as '1 - Portamento up', but instead of going up, it's going down. Shocking isn't it?

See "1 - Portamento up" for more information.

3 - Portamento to note
*depending on song speed
**last value greater than 00 memorized

Explanation:
Glides from the pitch of the note being played, to the pitch of the note set as target.

Usage:
3xx - where XX is the step size of the slide, ranging from 01 to FF. When you use this effect with XX being 00, the value used before that other than "00", is used. So, the last used step size value other than 00 is memorized.

Example:
Code:
00 C-5 01 .. 000
01 C-6 01 .. 306
02           300

On row 00, in this example, a C-5 note starts playing with sample 01. On row '01', the target note for the portamento to note is set to C-6 and the pitched is moved up with step size '06'. On row 02, the pitch is moved up with a step size, of the last value other than zero, because of the argument value being '00'. In this case the step size from the previous row is used, which is '06'.

When the pitch of the target note is reached and a portamento to note effect is still used, the pitch wont change anymore.

Extra information:
See the extra information from '1 - Portamento up' for more information on portamento generally.

4 - Vibrato
** last value greater than 00 memorized

Explanation:
Vibrato is the effect of a note being sung or played with regular oscillations of pitch.

Usage:
4xy - where X is the speed of the change in pitch, and Y is the depth of the change in pitch.

Example:
Code:
00 C-5 01 .. 483
01           400
02           000
03           400

On row 00, a note starts playing with sample 01, and the vrirbraot effect is started with the speed set to 8, and the pitch depth set to 3. On row 02 the vibrato efect continues with the last used values other than '00', becuase of the argument valeu '00'. In this case from the previous row, with speed 8, and pitch depth 3. On row 02, no effect is being used, so the sample is stil playing, but without vibrato. On row 03, the vibrato returns with the same behaviour as on row 01, using values set on row 00.

Extra information:
Vibrato is Italian, meaning 'vibrated'. Don't use a too big depth value for the pitch change, because it can sound out of tune with the rest of your song.

Last edited by st3vie on Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
timmy_
Skale Lover

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 4:06 pm    Post subject:

Good writing.

You might want to add that "memorized" effect parameters are individual for each track. Ie. if you set a 3xx command in track 01, like 371, it won't affect the 3xx commandos in track 02.

I didn't know that 1xx and 2xx memorized parameters - I don't think this was in PT - must have been implemented when FT2 came out ?

One thing about 4xx that I'm unsure of (I don't have any of my Amigas nor a win98 PC right now, so I can't check) - if you do this :

Will the "0" vibrato speed in line 2 and 3 affect vibrato speed (set to lowest speed) - OR will it remain at 8, while only the depth changes ? I can't really remember this.

I could of course check how these things work in the current version of Skale, but Skale does of course have many errors as of yet so it wouldn't be that much point.
st3vie
Skale Administrator

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 10:27 pm    Post subject:

timmy_ wrote:
You might want to add that "memorized" effect parameters are individual for each track.

Good point... noted.

timmy_ wrote:

I didn't know that 1xx and 2xx memorized parameters - I don't think this was in PT - must have been implemented when FT2 came out ?

As far as I know, you're correct. But since Skale is using FT2 as an example, I don't check with other trackers, that are around.

timmy_ wrote:

One thing about 4xx that I'm unsure of (I don't have any of my Amigas nor a win98 PC right now, so I can't check) - if you do this :
Will the "0" vibrato speed in line 2 and 3 affect vibrato speed (set to lowest speed) - OR will it remain at 8, while only the depth changes ? I can't really remember this.

hmm... good question. never used it like that either. Will check into that.

timmy_ wrote:

I could of course check how these things work in the current version of Skale, but Skale does of course have many errors as of yet so it wouldn't be that much point.

I'll check them all out, after some feedback, and check with the dev team!

Thnx for the comments!

Just got home form work, so I think I'll try to do a lot of the rest tomorow.
The text for all effects is basically finished, but needs to be put in a layout that the forum 'likes'.

-=Stevie
st3vie
Skale Administrator

Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 7:16 pm    Post subject:

Currently this tutorial is being rewritten and enhanced.

But i I think I will make it for a webpage, and not the board.
More easy for the layout and such!

Some time ago, I lost the part I had, which was about all the
effects already, but I found it again, or most of it, on an old HD!

This one should be 1 of 3 then. One for hexadecimal conversion
and such (short simple), this one (about the basic mod effects) and the third one in which I'll take the user through simple editing and the
basic interface stuff, creating a simple song.

any ideas/remarks welcome.

-st3vie
R33D
Skale Newbie

Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:15 pm    Post subject:

I apologize for replying to an ancient thread, but the questions here don't seem to have been answered yet

timmy_ wrote:

Yes, FT2 introduced more memorizing. So if you're making a .MOD, don't use 100 or 200, but repeat the values instead. Also, 5xx and 6xx are memorized in FT2 but not in Protracker, so you can't do 500 or 600. 4xx, 7xx and 9xx are memorized in both Protracker and FT2.
(And yes, FT2 allowed you to save "buggy" .MODs in this sense, so it was up to you to not rely on memorizing.)

As it is, Skale seems to memorize everything that FT2 does.

Edit: I forgot, FT2 also memorizes Axx which Protracker doesn't, so in MODs you can't use A00 either. This is why some Amiga mods play wrong in certain PC trackers/players, because the lazy ass composers left some A00 commands in between the functional Axx commands, and A00 is ignored in Protracker. But not in FT2/Skale for example.

Quote:

It'll remain at 8. This already works in Skale as well. Same thing if you do this:
4A0
Skale Clueless

Posted: Mon May 09, 2005 12:57 am    Post subject:

How does the note cut effect work? I can't seem to get it to actually cut a note, just warble it.
It's probably very obvious.
Thanks.
       Skale Tracker Forum Index -> Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: