:: Home :: FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
any news after a period of 2 years ??? :(
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Skale Tracker Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sportfreund
Skale User

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject:

HiNmity wrote:
I never depended on my life for freeware/shareware projects anyway. I got other applications in my arsenal with customer support. I dont mind paying money for hardware/software audio equipment.

I will keep on checking in to see if there are any updates. Perhaps we will see a christmas gift this year Who knows...

see ya!

i feel the same. i liked skale, but there are enough alternatives out there. it's just a bit of a shame that there were never any words from bak...not even "it's done when it's done (c) id software."

seriously: maybe st3vie can give a little update since he wrote about a new developer version in may this year?

greetings,

fegi
st3vie
Skale Administrator

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject:

Sportfreund wrote:
seriously: maybe st3vie can give a little update since he wrote about a new developer version in may this year?

Sure, i can and will. i also talked some things over with Baktery, but now i 'm at work. i'll try to do it tonight, otherwise i'll post it tomorrow.

edit: work, etc... busy busy... will do tonight.
st3vie
Skale Administrator

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject:

so, about the question by Sportfreund... here's a small off the record update:

Is Skale dead? No! And stop whining about that. If it would be dead, you would hear about it! This was also one of the reasons why i didn't post to every nagging post about updates on the forums here. No real appetite to reply to every post like that.

Right, with that out of the way...

Baktery has just changed jobs and moved again, or is still moving, actually, so at the moment he doesn't have a lot of time to really work on Skale. So, patience please! More?? Yes, more!

Why not go open source?
Because it's his favoriter hobby and his project and he feels he's not ready (yet?) to release it to the public, for development.

Why not add more ppl to the development team?
Even that would take time, to find (!) and select trustworthy and good ppl. And again, by choice, from Baktery. But who knows, maybe he'll change his opinion some time.

Why not more releases, like beta versions, with smaller updates?
Because there have been some pretty big changes to certain parts of Skale. Don't worry... Skale is still Skale, but what's behind it, and what it can do, is much better and much more cool. Even users will sort of get control over the interface of Skale, better VSTi support, engine improvements, etc...

What about the dev version i talked about?
It's still a dev version... not ready for public release.

i hope this short FAQ like post answered some questions ppl have. Believe me, i talked to Bak about different possibilities (like Open Source, more devs, etc.. ) to hear his views and let you know about it. i respect his views... and yes, as a Skale user myself i try to push him to get to work on it again as well. So, i know your feeling.

Some other things... i have been working on some stuff for the new website. i will continue working on it in the meantime. The new website will be dynamic in contrast to the old site, which will allow more new supdatesd and also some sort of dev blog, to get more in depth info what's going on.

When i will really start to go over to the new site, i will take down the forums temporarily, but of course i will make an announcement first then.

i'll maybe even start new forums from scratch, since this one has been spammed to death with dead/fake accounts, and has been converted twice from other forums and has some problems still with layout/design. If ppl could post their ideas about this to me, i'd appreciate it.

you can reach me through the forum PM system or through email... <nickname> at skale.org

okay, i hope i posted everything i wanted to. It seems the post is long enough, though. Otherwise, i'll be back.

cheers,
st3vie
Kmuland
Skale Lover

Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject:

Its nice to hear that skale continues alive Stevie

Anyway Skale fans are waiting for 2 years now...

They want to know, how much time they will have to wait until the next release.

Not needed an exactly date.. but imagine something like this:

"Expect the new skale on Spring 2008, summer 2008....."
st3vie
Skale Administrator

Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject:

stick to "when it's done"... it's not much, but it's the best i guess.

i am working on my own site as well, apart from the skale site, and i am planning to put up sort of a blog there as well. Also about the Skale activities. Maybe i'll put some information once a while there for now.
Reezon
Skale Newbie

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject:

st3vie wrote:
here's a small off the record update:

Thank you..!

I'm really glad to hear about things moving on, with pace rather slow than non-existent. Right now I could start phrase with "hopefully the next release has..", but instead I just cross my fingers and hope for the best - knowing that's exactly what Baktery will deliver.

Oh, and here's something to all the people shouting "skale is dead":

[image removed]

Enjoy

Edit: Woot - no sense of humour or taste for pale male ass?
Skale Clueless

Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject:

I hear Duke Nukem Forever is coming too!

Seriously though, I think Skale is loosing it's userbase with each passing month, as newer and much more advanced musicprograms are released. I'm more or less ready to find other pastures too. When SKale is finally released as v1, it will be outdated and surpassed by many others.

Sorry for the negativity....
alien5ive
Skale Fanatic

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject:

blackautt wrote:
I hear Duke Nukem Forever is coming too!

Seriously though, I think Skale is loosing it's userbase with each passing month, as newer and much more advanced musicprograms are released. I'm more or less ready to find other pastures too. When SKale is finally released as v1, it will be outdated and surpassed by many others.

Sorry for the negativity....

i guess thats it !!!
Reezon
Skale Newbie

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:07 am    Post subject:

blackautt wrote:
Seriously though, I think Skale is loosing it's userbase with each passing month, as newer and much more advanced musicprograms are released.

This concerns you how and why? The developement does not require people before it's done, it needs them after it's done. The beta releases have been more of a gesture of good will from Baktery, to let us know what he's been up to. I personally thank him for that, instead of whining why I haven't seen updates for a while. Guess it's down to what butters your bread..

blackautt wrote:
I'm more or less ready to find other pastures too.

..which is why you definately should. Once you find the right one, MARRY it - obviously Skale isn't the right thing for you.

blackautt wrote:
When SKale is finally released as v1, it will be outdated and surpassed by many others.

When the v1 comes out, Skale isn't outdated. In fact, it's as up-to-date as it can be at that stage. Naturally, if and when you compare it against other things it might and possibly will lack features, but then again, Skale isn't what those things are trying to be. Imo it's primary goal is to replicate the behaviour of the FT2 with personal twist and even at this stage it isn't that far from success. In fact, it's the very best thing there is at this moment and when it hits v1, possibly there is no difference at all - it even has features the original FT2 never had: VST-support, mixer with build-in EQ for every track, just to name few.

If all you are going to do is whine, be my guest. Just don't expect people to answer you with anything more than your very own attitude. To me you and many people on the board sound like little kids at the backseat of a car on a long journey, repeating sentence: "Are we there yet?". No matter how many times you are told "We will be", you keep on raving about the time the trip takes. Still, the most funny team is the one shouting out for developement to be stopped and code to be released. It's like asking driver of the car to pull over, so the kids can drive.
Skale Clueless

Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:28 am    Post subject:

I don't think I'm whining, just speaking my mind, though I can see why some people would read it as a big boo-hoo.

I've been using trackers since 1992 (!), so maybe that will put things a little more into perspective as to why, I'm becoming sceptical (and maybe just a little impatient (which is my bad, I admit)) about Skale ever going v1. I WANT to use Skale and I do, but I also want to see it finished.

I don't MARRY any program (I use the best tool for the job), but it sounds like some people do.

With the advent of VST many possibilities became possible and I think it's wonderful, that it's now possinble to use some of that in a tracker environment.

What about VST instruments? I do think a lot of trackers (with the possible exception of a few die-hard old schoolers) would expect it. Particularly newcomers.

I know Skale is freeware and I am grateful of Bakterys dedication to the scene, but the combination of 2 years standing still and the expectations of current and potential future users, it is beyond me, why Baktery hasn't involved others. When browsing through the forum, there are plenty of offers, entutiasts, who would do this, based on the same mindset as Baktery. I know I would have involved others.

Lastly Reezon, you should be the last person to speak of attitude with the latter part of your post.
dBlues
Skale Moderator

Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject:

There is still plenty of room for innovation in Tracker department. For example, multilayer sample instruments are not very much experimented. Of course, there are soundfonts and similar, but they are usually difficult to assemble. What I would like to see is Skale becoming an efficient sampler/VSTi host. But anyway, where ever it goes, I am eager to see. I believe community has always had their opinions through on Skale development, which I thank Baktery for.
Skale Newbie

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject:

I'm whining , I want my f*cking skale tracker.
It's the best FT2 clone on the market, andlike ft2.09 it left me hanging.
If the new skale has clone pattern I will be sooo sooo soo sooo

soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

much more productive.
Skale Fanatic

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject:

oxygenfad wrote:

If the new skale has clone pattern I will be sooo sooo soo sooo

soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

much more productive.

another missed and most wanted feature. we are still waiting
ACiD
Skale Newbie

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:56 am    Post subject:

Hi Skale Fans and Baktery,

so much time has passed since my last login here...must be 2 or 3 years...

I know a lot of people that switched from trackers to cubase, fruity loops
or energy xt....
I think it would be nice to have a VSTi version of Skale that you could load in your DAW e.g. energyxt and just send midi data out of it (maybe with midich.select for each track/bar or pattern)...so that you could use skale instead of the piano roll in your VSTi host...
It would be a great alternative while everyones waiting...and it's not so hard to code when you are familiar with the vst sdk...

maybe Baktery could give a reply ?
Fireb0y
Skale Clueless

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:06 am    Post subject:

Well, i haven't enter this forum for months... And i feel good sensations to know that Skale is to be continued background... We all know that a 2 years without any release is too much for some people, and them just let the project using another programs.

The 1st purpose of Skale, i think, is to be FT2 for XP in some way. Ok, the adds are great, but there is something that i used especially on Protracker and FT, and it's the Sample Editor. Is very buggy and lacks some functions that appear on some other like reversing, fadeout, etc... One of most powerful facts from FT2 and PT is that they were "all in one" programs. I mean, you have a tracker, and chorus editor, and a sample editor. Some other buttons/utilities are good as ASIO support and VST, but i prefer first have all options and uses from FT2 correct than adding some other support for new things.

I will wait, as many other. I think that there's no hurry, but please, keep us informed. Thanks a lot!

P.D: Please excuse me for my bad english
       Skale Tracker Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: