:: Home :: FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Realtime play...

Skale Tracker Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireWalk
Skale Clueless

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:30 am    Post subject: Realtime play...

Hi! I'm new to this forum. First of all I have to say that it's greate that someone takes up where our sweedish friends left off. I have been using FT2 for many years. It was my first Tracker, and I've stuck to it to this day. Lately DOS is not commonly used, and I've been using Windows 2k, XP etc wich does (as we all know) not support Dos based FT2. Emulators exist, but offers poor performance.

So I figgured I should try Skale tracker. Exept from some unnstable performance, CPU usage and some other small things wich I'm by the way sure you wull fix in later patches, There is however one thing that prevents me from seeing this tracker as an equal to FT2. And this is:

In Ft2, as I made music, I would always play arround with an instrument in order to try and come up something cool. I would play with the instrument, playing a realtime tune while the background music I had already made were still playing in the background. To acomplish this I simply placed a few channels in "rec" mode and my playing on the keyboard would be confined to theese channels.

When I attempt to "play" realtime on the keyboard while at the same time playing what I have made thus far in skale, Things get messed up. My playing is not confined to the channels I have choosen, but simply rush over ALL channels, and sooner or later it will start playing on top of channels already in use. This makes a mess of everything and causes the channel in use to stop playing etc etc.

In other words: this activity is impossible in Skale Tracker. Therefore it's impossible for me to make music As I used to do.

Now, is there some setting that will enable me to do this the old fasion FT2 way? Or is this something that is simply not possible in Skale tracker?

or is it just I who are stupid or something since I have not figgured this out yet? I've been reading on the forum for about an hour now, and haven't found anything reegarding this issue.

Please help...
vereiser
Skale Moderator

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:55 pm    Post subject:

You are so right man.
That is something, I noticed too.

In FT][ the instrument's signal is send through the channels, that are marked as rec.

Atm there is no way to play an instrument in that way in Sk@le. I'm 90%-sure Or is there somebody who can help us, please.

Intel Pentium 4 / 2,8 GHz / 1 GB DDR / WinXP Prof. / Hoontech DSP24 Value (multichannel soundcard)
dBlues
Skale Moderator

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject:

I have used this technique couple of times in Skale, not sure which version it was. But it worked ok, as I selected the channels (right-click into oscilloscopes) and then just hit the record button. It could be a bug in a new version? Can't confirm atm.
Skale Clueless

Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:51 am    Post subject:

press CTRL-C in the upper top right click "multi channel record"
now you can right click channels and play or record to only those.
Serpent17
Skale Clueless

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject:

No - this doesn't work. I've just tried it (Skale v 8.02)
I'm also used FT2 and now i'm too waiting for the full version of the Skale tracker.
This was a very useful feature, especially for amateurs like me. I was very enjoying creating some rythm and playin to it realtime.

By the way, can someone recommend some easy-to-use programm for creating simple techno rythmes?

PS. Sorry for my english - i'm russian.
corvin
Skale Clueless

Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:09 am    Post subject:

The point is PLAYING live not recording (hitting Play instead of Record). FT2 uses only marked channels to play live, when Skale uses all of them. I miss it very much as well...
Serpent17
Skale Clueless

Posted: Sun May 07, 2006 12:45 am    Post subject:

To: corvin
Yeah! At last someone who understand showed up. I'm getting desperate - this was VERY useful feature for me.
Djredo
Skale Newbie

Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject:

Skale is good and Renoise is another good tracker that is also good in which you can do many many cool things its very powerful.
Madtracker is also very good they both have very nice support for vst/vsti´s. And then there is also the free psycle and modplug trackers which are good too.

I know them all and I would recommend you to register Renoise or Madtracker.
corvin
Skale Clueless

Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject:

The point is that Skale is very similar to FT2, so lots of FT2 users don't have to 'learn' new tracker and are able to use new features like VST's, fiters, mixer and other stuff. Personally I liked FT2 very much, so I am very happy that something like Skale appeared. AND I MISS LIVE PLAYING IN SKALE!
My point is that I would even pay for final Skale version instead of Renoise or other, because I like it.
       Skale Tracker Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: