:: Home :: FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
[VST] Under Linux

Skale Tracker Forum Index -> Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
realberen
Skale Clueless

Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:41 pm    Post subject: [VST] Under Linux

Dear All,
I've downloaded Skale and started using it under Ubuntu Linux. But upon loading the demos featured on Skale's main page, I get to know that the DLLs can't be loaded. I was under the impression that VST support was equal on all platforms, so I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. Since I'm a uber-newbie to Skale, would someone please point me in the right direction to where to place the DLLs so that they will load correctly? There are no slots like displayed on http://www.metamacro.com/awezoom/skale/tutorial1.htm

Cheers

Nik

PS, any chances that S3Ms will open? Or Impulse Tracker files? :-)
toxl
Skale User

Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject:

Nope, VSTs don't load in the linux version of Skale. It is possible in principle, by using the Wine libraries, but Skale doesn't support that (yet?).
syncat
Skale Clueless

Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:22 pm    Post subject:

One said me that the very next version of Skale will be able to work with VST on Linux.
Could skale developers say that it is true, or it was just a dream?
st3vie
Skale Administrator

Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject:

obviously, linux needs some sort of wrapper to be able to use the same vst dll's like in windows. this is the plan. how soon this will come is not in my power to predict though!

but being a linux user myself, i'll keep pushing bak for it!
(hope he'll forgive me for this )

-st3vie
MuoX
Skale Clueless

Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:59 pm    Post subject: LADSPA

Linux has it's own effect/instrument like Steinberg's VST in windows.
I talking about ladspa, http://www.ladspa.org/
I think it would be better to make a Skale ladspa compatible release rather than a VST compatible, basically because wine is emulated, and you know, it's slower and less reliable.
Wine is wonderful project, it let me run many windows-only app under Debian but as the developers say, it's in alpha state.
And it will stay that state for a long time since Windows itself it's very complex to fully emulate.

LADSPA has nothing to do with VST so, if baktery implements LADSPA in future, skm songs won't load effects in windows.

[/url]
syncat
Skale Clueless

Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: LADSPA

MuoX wrote:
And it will stay that state for a long time since Windows itself it's very complex to fully emulate.[/url]

It is true - you have to emulate all that windows related bugs, so it will take a long time to do it
MuoX wrote:
LADSPA has nothing to do with VST so, if baktery implements LADSPA in future, skm songs won't load effects in windows.

I am not really similar with LADSPA instruments (are thay really exists, if they are - it will be great), but LADSPA effects are shurelly awesome.

P.S. If there are LADSPA instruments, i think that linux version of Skale should have only them, and if one wants to run Skale song with VST support - there is a wine, even it is alpha though.
Skale Clueless

Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject:

It's easier to compile ladspa plugins to work on windows than loading dlls using wine.

Also ladspa plugins don't use their own ui, but leave that task to the host program instead, so integrating into skale would be easier and no os specific code would cause problems.
MAWSpitau
Skale Clueless

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject:

Hi guys,

I am new with Skale. I have produced years ago Harcore-Music on an Atari. Now I am using Linux for several years and I was searching for a cool tracker-software... and guest what ?! I found Skale

I would be great to have LADSPA-FX running on Skale. VST woul be great, too but not neccessary (btw: there is http://lmms.sourceforge.net this guy somehow programmed a VST-interface into his programm on LINUX, maybe some of you developers could contact him, how he did that.)

Until now, Skale is a little bit "empty"/"windy" with no FX under linux.

But on the other hand, until now: great job - Number one Software

CU
MAW
Skale Clueless

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject:

Well, LADSPA for effects, and now we have DSSI.
Check last rosegarden builds, it's amazing, it's like VSTi but for Linux.
I'd recommend to check Musix.
-SDL 1.2.9
-ALSA/Jack
       Skale Tracker Forum Index -> Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: