:: Home :: FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Why is Skale not Free Software?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Skale Tracker Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should Skale Tracker be Free??
Yes
 87%  [ 29 ]
No
 12%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 33

bennyp
Skale Clueless

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:50 am    Post subject:

Nice answer Roland ^

From my perspective, I can understand how the developers would want to keep their 'baby' protected from the world, it's a pride thing, after all. I think, that if they allowed outside contributions, etc, then they would have the chance to be even prouder of the directions their project could go. Interoperability is a bit example of what I mean. Suppose an outside developer wanted to add jack support to Skale, etc etc.

ultimately, yes, it is their choice. I just think the pros of free licenses outweigh the cons of proprietary ones such as the current skale license.

I wouldn't mind hearing from the dev team on this one.
Blew
Skale Clueless

Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject:

I wouldn't pretend to know all the reasons behind keeping SKALE source closed, but there are obvious pros and cons to each approach. Personally I got into SKALE for only a few months until I realised the development was going to proceed at barely a snail's pace. I've also been using Mac OS X since around that time and obviously the Mac version of SKALE is not a priority nor will it be anything close to as useful as that 'other' new tracker. I don't begrudge the SKALE devs for wanting to keep control of their baby, but I would only ask that should SKALE go the way of the ill-fated PlayerPRO Mac tracker, that they take a page from that app and release the code only after they are 'done' with it.
ghosttracker
Skale Clueless

Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is Skale not Free Software?

bennyp wrote:
< - this isn't a flame - >

Why is Skale not free software under GPL or some such license? It seems to me a bit of a waste that a program of this quality does not benefit from interaction of the community and user freedom.

< - not a flame - >

Heh. I find this funny. Here you have someone that gladly programs something and gives it away for free. But still that is not enough. I am a coder myself and after spending years uppon years on audio engines and module players I should rightly just give that away otherwise I am not benefiting the community? Well, who are going to pay for my food then? How are going to pay for my spare time spent on coding? Thats where the insult is. That is just your right?

Another thing, when I code something, I normally have an idea and a basic design layout. To have lots of other coders trying to force me to do other things with this design is just frustrating. Yeah sure in the end when it reaches a stable 1.0 version maybe, but before that its really just pointless. For me I would atleast have to finish my design and idea first. And after that, maybe I would give the source away.

Yet, another thing. In the GPL lisence it says something like, you have to keep this open sourced and the author is the one that controls it. I dont know how much you know about programming but if you compile something and turn source code into binary it is actually really difficult to figure out if someone used your code and sold it as a binary. Say you come up with this amazing audio engine and you open source it so everyone can benefit in their own products nomatter what it is. How can you prove that someone like microsoft used it when they compiled it into binary?

if everyone out there had an open mind and did not exploit eachother it could work but in this world, never.

Funny guy
nano
Skale Clueless

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is Skale not Free Software?

ghosttracker wrote:

Well, who are going to pay for my food then? How are going to pay for my spare time spent on coding? Thats where the insult is. That is just your right?

This is not the issue, the programmer in this case doesn't want donations.

ghosttracker wrote:

To have lots of other coders trying to force me to do other things with this design is just frustrating.

ghosttracker wrote:
For me I would atleast have to finish my design and idea first. And after that, maybe I would give the source away.

I don't know how much reconstruction goes down inside the source of skaletracker, but it has been a couple of years now. One might think that hopefully the internals has become fairly stable. As for other coders forcing you to do something, that's just silly. It's the project leaders role to _lead_ the other developers to a unified goal. If a patch doesn't fit that goal, it will get rejected.

ghosttracker wrote:
Yet, another thing. In the GPL lisence it says something like, you have to keep this open sourced and the author is the one that controls it. I dont know how much you know about programming but if you compile something and turn source code into binary it is actually really difficult to figure out if someone used your code and sold it as a binary. Say you come up with this amazing audio engine and you open source it so everyone can benefit in their own products nomatter what it is. How can you prove that someone like microsoft used it when they compiled it into binary?

Depends on how much efforts has been made to change the code, but you probably don't want to change the code too much because then you would have written it yourself from start. A quick query on google would reveal a number of occations where companies had to open their source because of GPL violations.

ghosttracker wrote:
if everyone out there had an open mind and did not exploit eachother it could work but in this world, never.

Oh, right. So because big countries like the USA go play world police and try to force its will upon others, it's ok for other countries to do the same? Because big companies try to squize out every penny of the market in the least moral ways, it's ok for all other companies to do the same? What are we here for? What is the purpose? Isn't the future about collaboration instead of just stabbing each others backs? If nobody tries to do the right thing, then the right thing will not happen. That is.. if you belive that sharing information and collaborating is the way to go.

And as for opensourcing skaletracker. It would gain HUGE ammount of publicity and would probably attract quite a few good programmers. With opensource skaletracker it would be packaged and distributed with every major Linux distribution reaching a lot more users than it currently does. Exposure is always good, more users leads to more bugs cought, more programmers leads to more bugs fixed, as long as the project leader has the ability to say NO to crappy code.
       Skale Tracker Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: