:: Home :: FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
First tracker you ever used ?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Skale Tracker Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Soapy
Skale Clueless

Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:29 pm    Post subject: First tracker you ever used ?

I was thinking about how great trackers are, Skale is my fave at present for many reasons, but one is that it kinda reminds me of the very first tracker I used.

TCB Tracker by Anders Cool ( IIRC ) on the Atari Ste way back in 91/92 I think.

I used to use that to either make some drums and bass backlines for me to practice live guitar over, or just to create some Public Enemy/ Ice T type stuff to amuse my friends

What tracker did you guys start off with and what were it's best features/specs ?

TCB had 4 tracks, some simple looping tools and a little box that would generate images to gyrate to the music All on a 500k STe with seperate floppies for all my sample types ( my brother always used my drum disks to copy pron onto )

Lots of old trackers feature here :

http://marcer.dyndns.org/digitrack.html

A quick looks shows Quartet, which I dabbled with for a while too ( using proper musical notation ..wow )
st3vie
Skale Administrator

Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 12:12 am    Post subject:

hmm, i guess the first ever tracker i used was sound monitor on the C64.
then ProTracker on the Amiga. i didn't like OctaMed. And after that on the PC
i immediately went over to FT2. I already saw it once at my cousin's pc, and it jus
looked and felt like protracker.

Now Skale of course.

features.... well, sound monitor, was just an automated way of making cool music
on the c64, instead of hacking away in assembly code and such. =))

ProTracker, was one of the best trackers ever, especially in those days. Fastrtacker
was easy to get into after using ProTracker. I did try Scream and Impulse but i couldn't
get used to them. So mostly the interface has influenced my decision, not really features.
i've heard cool music from all tools.

-st3vie
keysersozeh
Skale User

Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:10 am    Post subject:

haha EXACTLY the same as steve above... i remember there were only 3 tracks possible on c64... i was soo happy with the amiga because of the 4th track and the stereo possibillities ffcrse.. wot a crazy time... now ive got tooooo much tracks
Tranceparent
Skale Moderator

Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:31 am    Post subject:

First tracker I 'used' was Scream Tracker 3. I wasn't too much of a musician back then (still aren't but at least a bit more ). I switched to FT2 as soon as I got it. I used FT2 for quite a while, but I couldn't get it working with Windows 95 / 98, so I had a 'tracking break' of almost 2 years or something.

After that I felt the urge to go tracking again, so I started looking for a replacement and found Madtracker 2. MT2 wasn't too bad and I heard other trackers making wonderfull things with it, but the interface just didn't really work for me. Fortunately I found Skale, which has the good old FT2 interface, which is unbeatable when it comes to trackers IMHO.
sYnCHAoZ
Skale Lover

Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:49 pm    Post subject:

OctaMed 3.0 on the Amiga. I would have used ProTracker instead if I back then had known it existed. Jumped FT2 on the PC as soon as I found it.
Skale Newbie

Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:50 am    Post subject:

First tracker I ever used was modplug tracker, about 5+ years ago. That was back before modplug.com, it was just castle-x.

Right now I am still a modplug man, but I do use skale quite a bit. I would say I use skale about 40% of the time I am tracking. Keep up the good work!

Simple Music From Simple Minds
dBlues
Skale Moderator

Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 9:36 am    Post subject:

My first tracker was Scream tracker... well actually Tranceparent already told my story so nothing much to say here
Skale User

Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:19 am    Post subject:

hehe... i could completely quote tranceparent as well scream tracker 3 was the first tracker i really used (i think that was in 1995). But years before i came in contact with a version of future composer on the c64. but i was too young back then, to understand such kind of program
R33D
Skale Newbie

Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject:

First one was NoiseTracker 1.1 around 1991 or 1992. Then NoiseTracker 2.0 -> ProTracker 1.1b -> ProTracker 2.3a for a long time -> ScreamTracker 3.01 (horror) -> FastTracker 2 for a looong time.

I still can't understand why FC had to fuck everything up with Scream Tracker... changing the effect commands for example. Surely they must've had experience from the Amiga trackers, so why not just mimic as much as possible?

keysersozeh wrote:
haha EXACTLY the same as steve above... i remember there were only 3 tracks possible on c64... i was soo happy with the amiga because of the 4th track and the stereo possibillities ffcrse.. wot a crazy time... now ive got tooooo much tracks

The "trackers" of C64 (not that they were called that) aren't really comparable with the Amiga... the principles of the soundchips are different in every possible way, not just the amount of channels. The SID is basically a fairly powerful synthesis chip and needs some hacks to play digitized samples, whereas the Paula was designed for sample playback in the first place. They're both very good in their respective areas.

Edit: My favourite C64 editors at the moment are John Player for its ease of use, and JCH's editor/player for the features (alas, I'm too busy/lazy to spend enough time with it to be able to use it very efficiently).
Skale Newbie

Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject:

FT2 7 years >> IT 2 months (lol) >> Skale (since it was released)
Skale User

Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject:

Started of with an Amiga and D.S.S, then went on to NoiseTrakker, ProTracker Octamed.

Bought a PC and went for Fastttracker 1.2 i think, then Ft2.0 until windows 2000 came along

Now ofcourse a Skale user.
KermEd
Skale Newbie

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject:

mod editor for dos

then scream tracker

then impulse tracker (for years and years - so many tunes),

got stuck on buzz-tracker for a while

played with a ton of trackers & decided i like skales stability and simplicity. It seemed to be the only tracker I would finish a tune in without quitting from frustration lol.

Loving it.
Manwe
Skale Lover

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:22 pm    Post subject: Impulse Tracker, Mac OS X

Impulse Tracker fans who working on Linux, FreeBSD or Mac OS X should check this:

Irrelevant
Skale Newbie

Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:39 am    Post subject:

I had a program called 'quartet' on the Atari ST, I 'guess' that was a tracker, I didn't realize what it was capable of doing at the time, though.

I mostly stuck with midi stuff, like 'music studio', or 'band in a box', or 'cakewalk' or 'midi studio' (really generic titles...) I was young, and naive. Just an elementary school student playing with programs that I barely understood, secretly, when my evil brother was away....

If he found out, he'd erase my data :D

It was quite a dark skill in that case :P

My first real tracker experience was with Fasttracker 2, I started using it ona 80386, then a 486, then what was supposedly a 586, but was some weird overclocked jobber, and then up until now and the pentiums.

I still don't know much about computers, but I do know a bit about tracking, sequencing, taming waves, looping, and all the wonderful 'effects' that you can do the samples being played.

Manipulation of sound is like magic~

The possibilities are endless, and if you can understand the tools,
you can create anything you can imagine, if you try :)
xteraco
Skale Clueless

Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject:

skale is my first tracker.. i'm also working w/ ft3beta
       Skale Tracker Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: