:: Home :: FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Sample music with a real instrument

Skale Tracker Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PiTA
Skale Clueless

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: Sample music with a real instrument

Is that possible?

I've played alot of piano in the past and I wonder if it's possible to just connect like a keyboard (that you play on) to like... the mic-slot or something and be able to use your play-keyboard to play the music.

I've use FT2 in the past but I struggle with playing on the computer-keyboard to hear the different tunes. I simply wanna play my samples on the connected keyboard, just like I would on the piano .

Anyonw knows if this is possible?

Sorry for my bad english, I'm from sweden

Many thanks
PiTA
st3vie
Skale Administrator

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject:

Yes, when you connect a keyboard to your computer with MIDI, you can select a sample/instrument in Skale, and play on your keyboard, hearing the sample/instrument you use in Skale instead of the normal keyboard sound.

-st3vie
PiTA
Skale Clueless

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject:

yey

Thanks alot the the quick response!
This MIDI thingy, is that some kind of program that transform the keyboard-pressing to like... skale-language? or is it some kind of slot on the sound-card?

Do I need anything else but a keyboard, a computer and a wire between those two to be able to make some funky music in skale?

I'm kinda new to this music a'la computers so I've got alot to learn =)

Again, thanks!

/PiTA
st3vie
Skale Administrator

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:07 am    Post subject:

PiTA wrote:
This MIDI thingy, is that some kind of program that transform the keyboard-pressing to like... skale-language? or is it some kind of slot on the sound-card?

Well i'm not a professional or antyhing on using MIDI, since i haven't used it alot myself, but after a search i foudn something that states exactly what it is and better than i ever could i guess:
Code:
Musical Instrument Digital Interface
MIDI is a standardized protocol for communication between electronic music devices as well as between those devices and computers. For example, SOUND MODULES and computers can use MIDI to communicate.

PiTA wrote:
Do I need anything else but a keyboard, a computer and a wire between those two to be able to make some funky music in skale?

Basically, no. that should do it (keyboard-cable-computer). i have a cable that i connect to the MIDI-out on my keyboard and to the MIDI-in on my PC soundcard and that's about it. Obviously you might need to change some settings.

i've no idea what kind of cable or anything.. maybe others who use MIDI more regularly could say something about that... i guess it also depends on what your soundcard supports.

-st3vie
PiTA
Skale Clueless

Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject:

thanks =)... I feel I have a little more info on this one now.

But, what I wonder is if there are anyone that are using the USB-slot as midi-in?.. does skale have support for that?...

Doesnt seem to impossible to me that skale only support midi thru the "midi slot" aka joystick-in.

Anyone knows?

thanks
Skale Clueless

Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject:

[img]http://www.feedback.nl/nieuw/png_cache/ZXNpLXJvbWlvMzUwMzUwNTBmZmZmZmY=.jpg[/img]

USB cable with 1 midi-in and 2 midi-out on the other side of the cable
should do the trick! there are plenty of other options, like [img]http://www.feedback.nl/nieuw/png_cache/cGhvbmljLW1pZGlodWIzNTAzNTA1MGZmZmZmZg==.jpg[/img]
this one has 2 midi-in and 2 midi-out, a MIDI thru switch and LED indicators.
good luck!

edit: just copy the url between the img tags to your browser, it seems that deeplinking these pictures doesnt work! if it still doesnt work, use google and search for the Phonic - MIDI Hub or products from M-Audio, they both have a couple of different midi-via-usb cables or devices!
       Skale Tracker Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: