:: Home :: FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
PLEASE DO A MACOSX SUPPORT!!!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Skale Tracker Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dBlues
Skale Moderator

Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject:

Well, if stability is a problem to somebody, you can always use the previous version Skale 0.76 that doesn't have ASIO, Skale multiout VSTi-version and some other features (there is a chance that you don't even need them, at least in normal use). For me Skale 0.80a unstability hasn't been a problem for some reason. There was crashing on my computer but that was due to faulty motherboard.

Besides, most of the people that are serious with their music, will want to use VST-effects and instruments that xi-format doesn't support.

Just take it cool and make music with Skale, that's my advice
Skale Lover

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:51 am    Post subject:

I think the prize goes to masterx for calling Yannick Delwiche a 12 year-old kid =) Nice to see you, Yannick. Kudos for helping keep the tracker scene alive, even though I'm bound by my faith not to acknowledge Madtracker's existence =)

On Topic, hence: I'm really rooting for the MacOS X version, since my only laptop is a Powerbook. Nothing beats tracking on the road.
dBlues
Skale Moderator

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:18 am    Post subject:

Teetow wrote:
I think the prize goes to masterx for calling Yannick Delwiche a 12 year-old kid =)

I have to say I had a ball reading this thread

Teetow wrote:
Nice to see you, Yannick. Kudos for helping keep the tracker scene alive, even though I'm bound by my faith not to acknowledge Madtracker's existence =)

On Topic, hence: I'm really rooting for the MacOS X version, since my only laptop is a Powerbook. Nothing beats tracking on the road.

Good to see some of the oldest forum members visiting here also . And Yannick, keep up the good work.
Skale Clueless

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject:

hi all!

mac os x is quite nice, but i will be very useful to many people to get a mac os classic version (8,9). there some trackers on mac os x, but "no" trackers on the classic os!! there are some guy, like myself too, who uses a linux on their macs!

@baktery: any chance to get a skale tracker for mac os classic (8,9) and a linux ppc version???
(there might be some amiga os4 users out there who want a skale too?)
baktery
Skale Developer

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject:

Yes, but bad news: the mac version has been cancelled by now. Why? Here are the reasons.

I was looking to buy a mac computer and I decided to do it before the end of this year, so I announced the mac version for this year.

Around 1 month ago, I bought an iMac by internet. Just the day i received the computer at home, Apple announced the transition to Intel processors.

I was spending a lot of money in the computer and, from my point of view, with this news an Apple computer with a PowerPC processor is an obsolete hardware.

That day (the same I received the computer) I called to the store where I bought the computer to return it.

Actually waiting to get the money back.... I have only a photo of the iMac's cardboard box in my house.

So, about your question (mac os classic and ppc version): no, sorry
mrpailes
Skale Clueless

Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:49 pm    Post subject:

@sa-do:
Come on mac os 8/9 is DEAD. When it comes to stability it is even worse than Win95.
I've used it for quite a while and it was crashing all the time.

Hey bak please make a DOS version with GUS support =)

@bak:
There is no point in returning your PPC mac just because apple has decided to make a transition to intel within the next 2 years.
I just got a brand new G5 iMac and it's a very nice machine.

1. Application bundles on OSX allow binaries for various CPUs
2. You can even use your PPC to cross-compile for x86

The point is the OS not the hardware.
baktery
Skale Developer

Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:11 pm    Post subject:

There is no point in returning your PPC mac just because apple has decided to make a transition to intel within the next 2 years.
I just got a brand new G5 iMac and it's a very nice machine.

Of course, it's my point of view. I was reading tech. documents about it and I must say that, like always, marketing is a way to lie and make happy the people.

The binaries for various CPUs you said it's as simple as 1 executable file with 2 compiled versions into it, the pcc and the x86 ones.

About the cross-compile, it's only the binary file generated, you can't test the x86 version from a ppc computer. Reading the related documents you can see that it's not as easy as they said to rebuild a macosx ppc application for macosx x86 (and viceverse).

With a ppc apple computer i'm only able to execute ppc binaries and I can't test the x86 versions which is really a problem because there are a lot of things that can generate a dependent platform bug (endianless for example).

This is from my point of view an obsolete computer for me as a developer.

Like you said, macos 8/9 is dead. You can say the same with the pcc macosx version in 24 months.

The point for apple is the OS, for developers is the OS and the hardware.
mrpailes
Skale Clueless

Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject:

Sure it's your decision.

But as a long time mac user and developer I can tell you that Apple does indeed care about it's userbase and the fact that they will use x86 in the future doesn't mean that OSX PPC will be dead then.
(They even included a VM that runs classic applications)
The majority of mac users owns a PPC and this will NOT change that rapidly even when the transition to x86 has finished.

I don't think apple can afford to piss of their userbase by cutting the PPC support.
baktery
Skale Developer

Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:52 am    Post subject:

The VM to run classic applications you are talking about it's another marketing trick: in practique, it can only run a very limited number of applications, have a look to the limitations:

Rosetta does not run the following:

Applications built for Mac OS 8 or 9
The Classic environment
Code written specifically for AltiVec
Code that inserts preferences in the System Preferences panel
Applications that require a G4 or G5 processor
Applications that depend on one or more kernel extensions
Kernel extensions
Bundled Java applications or Java applications with JNI libraries that can?t be translated

It's better to use pearpc (a opensource ppc emulator) than this apple's VM.
mrpailes
Skale Clueless

Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject:

baktery wrote:
The VM to run classic applications you are talking about it's another marketing trick: in practique, it can only run a very limited number of applications, have a look to the limitations:

Sorry I haven't made myself clear enough. I was talking about the classic environment in OSX that makes running of os 8/9 apps possible.

Quote:

Rosetta does not run the following:

Applications built for Mac OS 8 or 9
The Classic environment
Code written specifically for AltiVec
Code that inserts preferences in the System Preferences panel
Applications that require a G4 or G5 processor
Applications that depend on one or more kernel extensions
Kernel extensions
Bundled Java applications or Java applications with JNI libraries that can?t be translated

All major apps will be compiled for x86 AND ppc very soon,
for everything else there is rosetta and I think it is a pretty nice feature.
It even runs photoshop and office so where's the problem?
I don't know many apps which require kernel extensions and running a kernel extension
in an emulated environment just doesn't make sense.

Quote:

It's better to use pearpc (a opensource ppc emulator) than this apple's VM.

No it's not because it's painfully slow
Manwe
Skale Lover

Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:47 pm    Post subject:

Very sad. Guess, if you've unpacked the box and run iMac for a few minutes, you'll never return it.
mrpailes
Skale Clueless

Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:54 pm    Post subject:

Manwe wrote:
Very sad. Guess, if you've unpacked the box and run iMac for a few minutes, you'll never return it.

I agree... Macs are just very beautiful computers no matter which CPU and the OS is stunning.
TJindy
Skale Clueless

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject: MAC os? What about...

AmigaOS? Or MorphOS? Well, it could be one of the best piece of art for these machines!
Well, i`m an Amiga User and i think that Skale is really great tracker. of course it is a bit unstable (hehe always load from backup ) but i wish if it will be at these platforms..

PS.The best Amiga Tracker is still DigiBooster2.17 Quite cool tracker, beter than FT2.
Skale Clueless

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject:

The mac will use an INTEL processor. But it's not going ot be the x86 family. That would be f_ked up. It should be a brand new type of processor.
       Skale Tracker Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: