:: Home :: FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Skale and Linux problems - What solutions?

Skale Tracker Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cquencer
Skale Clueless

Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Skale and Linux problems - What solutions?

I am running Suse linux 9.3

The machine is a lowly pentium 3 800mhz with 256 megs ram.

Performance with skale is an issue, though it runs most other apps speedily enough.

It clicks, pops and stutters, and this is something I'm not used to since it runs fine even on an even slower windows pc.

I am using built in motherboard sound, could that be part (or all of) my problem?

I am leaving windows behind for the most part, and I'd sure like to use skale without having to reboot to windows (can you say DELETE windows partition?)

Yes I know breakdown and buy a real motherboard and processor...
I will when finances allow, but until then can everyone please post
their suggestions for optimizing my current setup?

I'm going to try buying a real soundcard and see if that helps but I have a feeling with linux this processor is just simply not fast enough.

I've heard you can install a low latency kernel and many other things but I'm fairly new to linux, so rpm installs would be preferred. Please help before I am forced to delete my lovely new os and go back to windows!

Thanks for everyone's help and support!
Skale rocks!

Cquencer
st3vie
Skale Administrator

Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject:

hi

i don't think the on-board sound should be a problem, unless it doesn't have sound hardware acceleration capabilities. But as you say, it work sin Windows, so it should be working in Linnux as well.

You are using the latest version? v0.802? You could perhaps try to set a bit higher number of "wait time" in the SkaleLinux.cfg file, which drops the number of frames that are being drawn per second and it might help to save some cpu time. (using a value of 20 to 25 makes the cpu usage drop to 53-60% here on my system, of course, the graphics can feel a bit slower when using a higher number. This fast 'hack' will be improved in future versions)

Furthermore, the Linux version has a hardcoded latency at the moment, which makes it seem a bit laggy as well.

Overall, i think you should be able to use Skale in Linux on a 800MHz system, although it's not yet fully optimized for Linux yet.

I'm using Gentoo and it works fine, but i do have a more powerful cpu, so it's hard to compare.

Good luck!

-st3vie
Cquencer
Skale Clueless

Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:09 am    Post subject:

First DUH!

I am using 0.76w fixed. I will upgrade. Is performance any better for the newer version?

I will try the changes you suggested and let you know what happens...
I agree it should run without much problems, even on an 800mhz p3
I would think you should be able to get 32 channels without pops and clicks.

On motherboard sound has a tendancy to be really shitty, so I will upgrade to a real soundcard and see if that makes a difference.

Cquencer
       Skale Tracker Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: