:: Home :: FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Live laptop performance

Skale Tracker Forum Index -> Off topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

I think that better machine for live playing would be
Mac
 0%  [ 0 ]
PC Centrino
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 0

dBlues
Skale Moderator

Posted: Fri May 07, 2004 7:45 pm    Post subject: Live laptop performance

A laptop for live performance is not a bad idea if you compare the price with hardware samplers. So I ask: do you have any experience working with a laptop in a live playing situation? Do you think PC beats Mac on stage or other way 'round? Let's say we have a new Powerbook with at least 512 MB and a new PC with Centrino and 512 MB and good soundcards on them (Audiophile firewire). Give me your opinions!
Tranceparent
Skale Moderator

Posted: Fri May 07, 2004 9:33 pm    Post subject:

I'm runnin XP and I don't know much about Mac, so I can't really vote, but on my XP machine Skale stutters sometimes, because it's using 100% processor power for a few seconds. This might be some memory leak kinda bug in Skale though.

My home pc is just a collection of different parts and has games and all kinds of tools and free programs installed and with this pc I have some stability problems. My pc at work is a Dell and has just the necessary programs installed and on this pc XP runs like a rock.

Whatever you may choose, I'd test your system extensively before going on the stage.
dBlues
Skale Moderator

Posted: Fri May 07, 2004 9:48 pm    Post subject:

Yup, I agree on the testing part and that if you install too much stuff on a pc, it gets slow and unstable eventually. About that stuttering; I've noticed that if I increase the latency, I get less of that. And I found this link for optimizing WinXP for DAW use, seems pretty good: http://www.execulink.com/~robin1/a_xp_for_audio.html. Is it true that you can make Windows XP load different set of drivers/task applications for every profile?
Tranceparent
Skale Moderator

Posted: Mon May 10, 2004 9:28 am    Post subject:

dBlues wrote:
Is it true that you can make Windows XP load different set of drivers/task applications for every profile?

I've never heard that before, but it could be.
Irrelevant
Skale Newbie

Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:20 am    Post subject: GOOD LUCK!

ugh...

good luck. I would've voted for the pc centrino, but it was over by the time i saw this.

I played live with a box before :D that's fun.
a crappy monitor, fasttracker 2, tons of synths, guitar, bass, etc, and a box that ran a p1 133hz with i think only 32 megs of ram... runnin windows 95.

the outcome can be found at www.kobnet.net/~ichirou/misc
all the files beginning with 'TV' (stands for terminal velocipede)

other times i've used an old laptop running windows 95, but i'd not rely on just that, imo. it's dangerous :D

even if the pc crashes, i make sure i have hardware drum machines and my sh-101 synced up, to make noise while i fix whatever happened :P

Things get scarey when you bring samplers and computers on stage :D

Last edited by Irrelevant on Mon May 16, 2005 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
dBlues
Skale Moderator

Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 10:46 pm    Post subject:

I still haven't decided, so thanks for your 2c's. PC is currently winning because of CPU power and software support. If my computer would crash during live act, I'd still have a band making noise - that's good since I don't own a hardware synth.
       Skale Tracker Forum Index -> Off topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: