:: Home :: FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
who switched to another programms since skale seems 2b die?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Skale Tracker Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Manwe
Skale Lover

Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:48 am    Post subject:

Patterns are good (as an option)! Do not kill'em, please
alien5ive
Skale Fanatic

Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject:

retro wrote:
Manwe wrote:
retro, what is your own tracker? give a link, please!

no links yet
for the moment, the project is in development stage.
it is not the first of my approaches to tracker conception, but, i hope, it'd be more usable than some previous.

The main features i wish to implement are
1. multidevice output (i need to transmit vocoder carrier)
2. more flexible song structure (no patterns, just tracks)
3. programmatic synths and some buzz-reason-like "wires" (with simple interface, though)
ability to use in live performance:
4. parameters (envelope points, etc) and gui linked to midi input (controllers)
5. built-in fx processor (may be)

sounds very interesting. keep us informed pal

retro
Skale Clueless

Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:01 am    Post subject:

Manwe wrote:
Patterns are good (as an option)! Do not kill'em, please

patterns are per instrument (track)
Funxion
Skale Clueless

Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:46 am    Post subject:

I still use skale a bit, but it always crashes and makes me frustrated... So I use Milkytracker and FL Studio....

Have you checked out reViSiT? It's a new tracker in VSTi form... I've used some early beta, dunno how it's changed now. I should give it a go again...

http://www.nashnet.co.uk/english/revisit/features.htm

BAK RELEASE NEW VERSIONS OR SOURCE
Manwe
Skale Lover

Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:59 am    Post subject:

reViSiT is good.
Unfortunately, it often loads IT modules wrong.
Icarus
Skale Clueless

Posted: Thu May 01, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject:

I first started out tracking using ModEdit sometimes during 1990,
then, when I got a computer powerful enough, I quickly switched to FT2 sometimes ardound 1994 perhaps.

I have then been using both SkaleTracker and MadTracker ... but both
projects are long since abandoned. Since I never felt comfortable using Renoise, I finaly made up my mind sometimes ardound 2006 and made the switch away from trackers to sequensers and got comfortable with a particular one, Sonar.

I will never go back to use a tracker, yet I still visit this page occasionally, since I have an ongoing bet with a friend who still believes this site (and the tracker) will att some point be updated!

He do not understand that at this point , an update does not save much since the tracker itself is horribly outdated.

Anyhow, It is in fact not so difficult for a tracker to switch to a Sequenser I have learned, and the lite versions of theese are not even very expensive.

Id recomend not switching to a tracker but start to learn to use a sequenser instead. At least, they are beeing constantly updated.
alien5ive
Skale Fanatic

Posted: Sat May 03, 2008 1:55 am    Post subject:

Icarus wrote:

Anyhow, It is in fact not so difficult for a tracker to switch to a Sequenser I have learned, and the lite versions of theese are not even very expensive.

Id recomend not switching to a tracker but start to learn to use a sequenser instead. At least, they are beeing constantly updated.

my words.... im using REASON 4

later
Reezon
Skale Newbie

Posted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:20 pm    Post subject:

Icarus wrote:
He do not understand that at this point , an update does not save much since the tracker itself is horribly outdated.

Err. Define outdated. Skale is work in progress, BETA. How can it be outdated, when it's not even done yet? Besides of that..

..In my opinion Skales primary purpose is not to replicate things sequencers or other trackers do, but replicate FT2 behaviour. How far is it from that? In my opinion, not very far. In fact, Bak has been kind enough to listen the people and write even more stuff to the engine, stuff like vst and asio support, mixer. He has been kind enough to let us in by showing in form of beta what he's up to. What does he get for that? People whining it's outdated. That it's crap..

..I don't find an update that shovels shitload of features over FT2 GUI very practical, instead I find an update that actually FINISHES the original FT2 features (like sample-editor) the one I and quite a few people are waiting for. Not the one that brings billion new features I will never ever use. I mean lets face it, you are never going to use even fraction of features your so-called sequencer has. You just want them features to be there. WHY. Oh why.

Bells and whistles? Go for sequencer. If you want software just to compose, go with Skale. Takes me 15 minutes to compose the very basic frame of a song with FT2, whereas with sequencer it takes me 15 minutes to load my shiny over-the-top outstanding does-billion-things vst-sampler, then open sample-editor (since the company that made the sampler wanted more money by making makes-billion-things multi-format wave-editor) and edit the 15ms from the beginning of the sample, load the sample to the sampler, load parametric eq + multiband compressor to process the shit out of the thing, hit close button of the sequencer and wonder why in the hell it takes at least 15 minutes to tweak the bassdrum, whereas in 15 minutes I'm already copy-pasting the first 30 seconds of actual song with FT2, making fills and variations to the drumpatterns. Eh.

Icarus wrote:

Why pay for something that does billion things you don't need it to do, when you can get the same or even better performace for free? Besides of that, sequencers don't use FT2 GUI, which of course is one of the main reasons Skale exists.

Icarus wrote:

I'd recommend trying and finding the thing you like and sticking with it.
Skale Fanatic

Posted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject:

REEZON.

dont forget i asked : "...who switched to another soundprog..."

OPINIONS have to be accepted

hm. i dont asked here what features ppl want in skale. thatz another topic in here.

anyway

looking forward
Reezon
Skale Newbie

Posted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject:

alien5ive wrote:
REEZON.

dont forget i asked : "...who switched to another soundprog..."

OPINIONS have to be accepted

I have absolutely nothing against opinions, as such should my statements be considered too, yes?

alien5ive wrote:
hm. i dont asked here what features ppl want in skale. thatz another topic in here.

anyway

looking forward

You didn't ask about them, but statement calling software "outdated" is indeed making reference to them. When people are saying Skale is outdated, obviously I wish to point out that is not the case - it's their own wishes of what Skale should be that have been elevated. Guess fiddling around hundreds of hours with plug-ins have made samplebased music obsolete, rendering the trackers (that basically once were just software based samplers) losers in battle against sequencers, that do very little but host way overpriced vst/i code. I'm not saying old-school trackers are/were more versitale than the modern sequencers, they just provide the kind of basis to ground I prefer working from/on.

Renoise does the job reasonably, but it doesn't feel like FT2 and every update they publish, makes the thing more and more demanding on hardware, not to mention cluttered with totally useless features. Wish there was mod to make it 1:1 FT2 clone. I mean this literally, so the Renoise engine does not even load up anything extra, just the basic functionality of FT2. After composing the song, loading up Renoise GUI to add fx'n'shit..

..that'd be great. But it will never happen, which is why I have high hopes for this project. I'm not expecting Skale to be packed with useless features, just the basic functionality of FT2. On the other hand, I could just go and buy some old P300 and run FT2..

..think I'll just do that.
Skale Fanatic

Posted: Thu May 15, 2008 2:57 am    Post subject:

accepted

but some kind of statement are wrong not urs at all...

i want too more features in skale like : iff sample compatibility and a full working sample editor+mod save for my intro codings on ps1...

btw. u dont need an old p300. use dosbox and ft2 works perfectly on newer systems.

get dosbox here: http://www.a5-recordings.com/skaleinfo/DOSBox0.70-win32-installer.exe

usage in a BATCH FILE like startFT2.bat:
c:\programms\DOSBox-0.72\dosbox.exe C:\ft2\ft2.exe -fullscreen -c "MOUNT c C:\ft2"
Reezon
Skale Newbie

Posted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject:

alien5ive wrote:
accepted

but some kind of statement are wrong not urs at all...

i want too more features in skale like : iff sample compatibility and a full working sample editor+mod save for my intro codings on ps1...

I don't see those things as features, but rather a form of basic functionality. IFF compatibility, not to mention working sample-editor both were features FT2 had, so it's not really asking for new features but like I said, asking someone to finish up the features original tracker had.

alien5ive wrote:
btw. u dont need an old p300. use dosbox and ft2 works perfectly on newer systems.

get dosbox here: http://www.a5-recordings.com/skaleinfo/DOSBox0.70-win32-installer.exe

usage in a BATCH FILE like startFT2.bat:
c:\programms\DOSBox-0.72\dosbox.exe C:\ft2\ft2.exe -fullscreen -c "MOUNT c C:\ft2"

It's finally working? Guess I need to give it another go. Last time I tried it, I got some pretty nasty sounds out of it - in case the damn thing didn't crash before that. Performance was way low too, which is why I chose not to even check back with that project. It worked on Monkey Islands, though

Stiil, I think I'd rather take the P300 path anyways, as it makes no sense to hit x2 cpu to full load just to make a thing play sample or two. You can get P300 practicly for free nowadays, so the price shouldn't be a problem either. Without internet it's like vacation cabin, home away from home..
       Skale Tracker Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: