:: Home :: FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Joining with development team.. is it possible?

Skale Tracker Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SX001
Skale Clueless

Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: Joining with development team.. is it possible?

Hello, creators.

I would like very much to join with development team. I am able
coding skills in
C, C++, assembler (I love it, experiences up to MMX, I may offer somehow valuable optimization help also in this area), Turbo Pascal, Delphi.

Another idea> everywhere I have seen only mp3 players in hardware
but is it a good idea also to make hardware modplayer? (mod,stm,xm,it support and similar).
:)
vereiser
Skale Moderator

Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject:

It's a truth that we wait for Sk@le V.1.0 for a long time.
It's true that this kind of software is very hard to code and could take ages.
It's a fact, that "one (wo)man projects" die after a time really often. (We all need a home and food.)
Or the user's realized, they were betatester all the time and have to pay the software now, to use it.
It's a quirk of a creator, to hide the "how I do it things". In our case the code of Sk@le.

And I think, Bak needs assistance. Sk@les community grows more and more. But when the software has to much missings or bugs (atm I can count them on two little little hands , cause I can handle these ones ), people become more and more impatient. They will search for a software within this features, they get for free. Or they pay for it, if there is some manageable outthere.

Ok, Baktery, here my suggestion.

The project Sk@leTracker is and will be your baby.
Some parts of the code you didn't code, if i remember correctly, like the VST engine, or am I wrong ?

Do you think it's possible to appoint some assistance in the community, who you direct.
I think it's not needed that you publish the code.
It will do, you say what you need and how it has to be made and the guys outside will follow the project MASTER.
Than you can include the code parts in the Sk@le code.

Or how about a Plugin mode ?

It would be sad, if this project dies.

P.S. You do a great job baktery.
Personally I think Sk@le is the best tracker atm, if you see the features.
But I need a better VSTFx and VSTi engine. And more FT][ features.

Intel Pentium 4 / 2,8 GHz / 1 GB DDR / WinXP Prof. / Hoontech DSP24 Value (multichannel soundcard)
sYnCHAoZ
Skale Lover

Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject:

Skale is deffinatly the best out there, and is (already) a music tool with immense potential.

But quite frankly, the constant lack of updates and new versions is a bit of a killer. Let's be honest. For the past 3 years (possibly more), the average rate of updates and new versions have been once a year.

Now we realize that it's your project, and that you are more or less alone on it - which requires alot of time and effort - taken from your own free time. You've got other things in your life that needs and deserves attention, so why not accept some of the generous offers from the people who present themselves willing and positive towards giving a hand on the project? At the current rate - 1 update per year - 1.0 will never see the day of light. Or at least not for the next 5-6 years most likely.

Personally, and this is just my personal feelings, I fear that if this ultra-slow rate of progression continues, Skale tracker will either die out, due to the community crumbling or the project being abandoned - or a Skaletracker ripoff will pop-up with much more support and development, and simply overshadow the real Skale. The community is still growing, and more and more people are opening their eyes to Skale. It's a shame if the project goes stale or even dead. But 1 update per year very much points towards just that end.

Just my 5 cents.
Skale Clueless

Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject:

As I can see, there is more than one coder who wants to support Skale.

and question. if skale owner wants to keep this project to himself,
it just will actualize this situation that on one day there is also available
more than 1 skale copy, ...? and the second one is really opensource
and available for every coder who wants to support it.
With this way it is quickly developed.

as I have seen there are many of those shareware programs which are developed but slowly and updates and features are not so... as it would be expected then the profit from the sales is not so big as the satisfaction when worked as a team.

if there is pretty much coders outside, why not to start from the scratch the new one? Together we have more power to develop it and it seems to be future in that case.
NearDark
Skale Clueless

Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject:

How much money, does baktery will earn on this hell-way
think, that this could be a not unavailable factor.
this maybe gives a little respect to him/her

cheers ND
oxygenfad
Skale Newbie

Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:28 am    Post subject:

I`m a data analysis if you guys need some one to do some data modelling or draw some flow charts ... maybe SKALE would dev would move a tiny bit faster

But seriously, Skale is doing great,
Skale Clueless

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject:

oxygenfad wrote:

But seriously, Skale is doing great,

Great? Great, how? It's a very nice piece of software, and, well there's a community behind it but I personally wouldn't wanna call that "great". A "great" project in my opinion is something like Wine, or ScummVM, or Ubuntu even (there is an actual point in visiting their websites, other than a forum. Think about looking at changelogs or reviewing progress some other way OR checking for new versions).
The only thing Skale has going for it now is this forum which I skim through occasionally. The last few years there were a few updates which were all minor (according to the announcements).

I have the feeling that if Bak doesn't want to turn it into a more open project in which people can help out a little, Skale isn't gonna be a lot more than it is now (which is as I stated before a very nice application). If Bak has some doubts about making Skale a project that allows for developers' input because it might mean he loses control, that is understandable but perhaps he could try and talk to, say, Patrick Volkerding a little, as he is not the only devoloper/contributer of an entire operating system (Slackware), but he pulls the strings by himself.
A project that is more active and allows for more people to contribute is more open to innovation and might actually make some progress.
That last argument is the reason I said that I fear Skale will never be more than it is now. Competitors probably will be tho.

I respect Bak's choice, and if he's afraid to make a big chance in the project's structure (development wise), I can understand that and sympathize but I'd personally talk to some people that have experience with managing their own project and letting other developers contribute to see if I could learn something and divide the stress of bugfixes and new features among other people rather than just myself.
He's only human after all.
Xeo
Skale Clueless

Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject:

I think it's just right about time that Sk@les goes open source.
There are many brilliant coders out there who will surely accelerate progress on development.
Bak, think of it. Have a look at other projects.
Reezon
Skale Newbie

Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject:

I feel very strongly against open source - Baktery is doing great job at slow pace, open source community does the job fast but the quality in most cases suck. No offence against open source, but I've seen enough kernel developers adding and breaking stuff up, instead of fixing the old mistakes. Bug ridden code, but hey, it runs, so it's in. NO NO NO.

Baktery KNOWS what he's doing. Let him do that
Skale Fanatic

Posted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject:

i also asked to join the dev for more than 1 year.

believe me ppl_. topics like this are useless. no reaction no reply. i love SKALE too but BAK need to say something. no one else can help us. no one got the source code. its too sad.

@REEZON again:

[u are new in here and not waitn for more than 2or3 years for a stable SKALE VERSION. lets talk about SKALE in 1 year. if u really like skale u will miss a lot of features too very soon.]

im out...
Reezon
Skale Newbie

Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject:

We joined the forums about the same time, so I'm not new, saying that is just insulting. Just like you I've been eagerly waiting for the release I can work with. I have terminal disease (0-10 years time to live, who knows), does it make my wait more worth than yours?

I do understand YOUR needs, but not everyone wants bells and whistles. I just want the basic structure to work the way FT2 worked. I know Baktery will provide. If not today, tomorrow. If not tomorrow, some day. I'm waiting for that day and instead of bitching and whining, I wish to encourage him with his work. It makes me sad to see so many people almost angry at him, when in fact he has provided us with this nearly perfect software without any personal needs. If he had kept it by himself, would you like that better?

Baktery deserves little bit more respect and little bit less whining (no offence). Whatever it takes him to finnish the job he started, let him have it. The day is coming
       Skale Tracker Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: