:: Home :: FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Various thoughts on the interface

Skale Tracker Forum Index -> Skale Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pixel
Skale Clueless

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject: Various thoughts on the interface

Hi everyone
I've been reading these forums a lot with all the suggestions and I agree with quite a few. Out of all the trackers I tried, so far Skale has the best feel. I really felt like it was a tool I could potentially make music with that would be quick to use but at first I struggled. I like the Dos style thing to it....it feels smooth. I used Octamed back in the old days and it's wicked you can now use VST I's in trackers. Credit to the programmer!

The problem is it's quite confusing getting a vst i working/installed into Scale , I couldn't see how to move a filter knob on the vst instrument (to record it) and was hunting around the screens. Do I click 'synthesizer' ...mm..or 'instr edit'....it's a bit confusing to remember. Can I record a filter sweep in a vsti into the tracker?

On another note, I desperately wanted to play a beat live on the qwerty keyboard when I hit record button. That bloke that mentioned the M Audio fingerpad thing - I think it would make a great tool.. It would be so quick being able to bang in something in real time like this. So many sequencers are just so long winded...trackers are fast tools to get things down - so the real time thing would be a godsend.

I think a piano style keyboard at the bottom of the pattern screen might be a good idea - with a clear label as to what instrument you are using be it a vst i or a sample. There's something easy on the eye about seeing an on screen keyboard.....espeically when you have a list of samples.

When you move to a new track, IMO the whole track should be highlighted vertically so you know where you are.

It would be great to be able to draw controller data down the track vertically on the track display itself, and set envelopes to control the filter or volume. I do realise you can sort of do this already in another editor but it would be so much easier on the pattern editor itself.

I find it a bit strange the way you have to hit 'INST' or 'Synth' on the mixer - I felt I should just be able to select a vst instrument or sample from a list and as I do that the channel in the mixer get's highlighted.

If you up the resolution of the screen real esate, maybe have the list of vst instruments down one panel and next door a list of all the samples in another panel. THat might make life a bit easier being able to clearly distinguish.........

I did find I really needed an undo at times. And how do you copy a pattern quickly? I pressed CTRL C and looked for something on the menus....but got lost! Sorry to the programmer - I know it's a never ending list!

I could go on and on with more suggestions and I realise the programmer has a lot of work still ahead....on a last note I was using the AXS soft synth/tracker last night as well as Skale and I loved the way they incorporated that synth into the tracker, very immediate. A shame they stopped when they did...it's got such a fat sound and is so quick to use. The list could go on and on

pixel
Skale Clueless

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject:

Sorry peeps this was posted to the wrong section - should be in Skale Suggestions.
S
Skale Clueless

Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Various thoughts on the interface

Quote:

The problem is it's quite confusing getting a vst i working/installed into Scale , I couldn't see how to move a filter knob on the vst instrument (to record it) and was hunting around the screens. Do I click 'synthesizer' ...mm..or 'instr edit'....it's a bit confusing to remember. Can I record a filter sweep in a vsti into the tracker?

When you move to a new track, IMO the whole track should be highlighted vertically so you know where you are.

It would be great to be able to draw controller data down the track vertically on the track display itself, and set envelopes to control the filter or volume. I do realise you can sort of do this already in another editor but it would be so much easier on the pattern editor itself.

I find it a bit strange the way you have to hit 'INST' or 'Synth' on the mixer - I felt I should just be able to select a vst instrument or sample from a list and as I do that the channel in the mixer get's highlighted.

I did find I really needed an undo at times.

i'd like to repeat the above mentioned points for emphasis. And sort out the wave editor. It needs be as good as FT2s or better. Some destructive FX would be welcome, though not a necessity. Please.
Skale Clueless

Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: @pixel

Skale Tracker is a Fast Tracker 2 based Tracker with new features, such as filters and VST-support.

most things on skale are similiar to the oldskool FT2. just think about the copy/paste-function. FastTracker was a hardcoded DOS-Tracker, ever seen in the real-DOS-command-shell CTRL-C? no. this tracker (skale) is not a windows(or linux)-styled tracker. it's dos styled. throw your handle-experience over board.

for sure there are a few features missing in Skale Tracker, such as the FT2 (Shit/Ctrl/Alt)+V function. a few years ago, it seemed to me like a undocumented feature. just try it on an Fast Tracker 2.09...

regards
pixel
Skale Clueless

Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject:

Here's a long rant!......Yes CoolEP I understand your point that Skale is based on a DOS thing.
I don't wish to bash Skale because I'm used to doing things one way....mabye it's just me, but I'm so used to copying something now on every OS with CTRL C and pasting with CTRL V it just comes naturally. Having to relearn another shortcut gets in the way of getting the music done in my opinion. Of course if your used to old trackers this won't be a problem I'm sure....many of you are probably used to the older shortcuts.

I left using Skale for ages and have come back to it recently. It's a fantastic program....has so much potential.....I can't wait to see what happens next. It offers me the fastest interface to write techno...but I just get really frustrated when I want to wiggle a filter cutoff knob and then have to stop and think 'how do I do this?'. When you stop and have to think you lose the flow of getting the ideas out............

Also on another note tonight I read somewhere someone said ' I don't care about this VSTi shit' in Skale- if you don't care mate - go and use Milky Tracker! (which is also cool BTW!). Having the ability to run a VSTi with the tracker/samples can make the music so much more interesting...samples tend to be quite static things no matter how many clever tracker effects are added.

Can anyone recommend a good 303 bass to use (VST) with Skale? I tried the Muon Tau but for some reason couldn't close the window after I opened it. Or any general purpose VSTi for both bass and synths....any ideas do let me know - thank you!
alien5ive
Skale Fanatic

Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:30 am    Post subject:

Quote:

Can anyone recommend a good 303 bass to use (VST) with Skale? I tried the Muon Tau but for some reason couldn't close the window after I opened it. Or any general purpose VSTi for both bass and synths....any
ideas do let me know - thank you!

with some vsti plug in i got the same trouble. if u in there and cant close the window do this: press on ur keyboard the [windows key] it will minimize the tracker with all at least. now press with ur mouse on taskbar to maximize skale back . u now see again the vsti plugin. do nothing but: press [esc]. now ur back in skale.

try it. if u really need a lot of VSTi plux i can send u more than 4GB on a DVD. hit me via PM if u want.

A5
pixel
Skale Clueless

Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Thanks

Cheers A5 that works! That opens up a whole lotta possibilites now I know how to get that working........

Thanks again
       Skale Tracker Forum Index -> Skale Suggestions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: