:: Home :: FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
What am I doing wrong? (Re: OGG SKM)

 
       Skale Tracker Forum Index -> Skale Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Time Warrior
Skale Newbie


Joined: 13 Aug 2005
Posts: 34
Location: Chicago, IL

Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: What am I doing wrong? (Re: OGG SKM)

The new version is supposed to have the ability to compress the samples of an SKM file with OGGvorbis, yet the "OGG" section in the "Save Module" potion of the tracker still appears to be disabled. I've checked the rest of the configs and do not see any "OGG Config Options" or anything to suggest that the new version does in fact have the ability to OGG Compress.

Thinking to myself "ok, maybe it automatically does it for all SKM files now when it saves to SKM" i loaded one of my much larger modules and saved it as skm but alas -- the size did not reduce.

What am I missing here? What have I overlooked?

Dave
_________________
Time Warrior
http://www.legalmusicsearch.com
Back to top
st3vie
Skale Administrator


Joined: 13 Nov 2002
Posts: 641
Location: Beverwijk, The Netherlands

Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject:

it's in the SKM section.

You can now save an SKM with the samples in OGG format. Mainly meant for a 'final' SKM file, of course. to make the filesize smaller in the end.

not the module yet, as an 'export'.

-st3vie
Back to top
Time Warrior
Skale Newbie


Joined: 13 Aug 2005
Posts: 34
Location: Chicago, IL

Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject:

st3vie wrote:
it's in the SKM section.

You can now save an SKM with the samples in OGG format. Mainly meant for a 'final' SKM file, of course. to make the filesize smaller in the end.

not the module yet, as an 'export'.

-st3vie


You've still lost me. I understand it doesn't "output" as an ogg file and that the "final SKM file" has ogg compressed samples to "make the filesize smaller in the end" ... that I get.

The problem is -- I do not see *any* options for it and as i explained -- when I saved as an SKM, it did not get smaller. At all. Nada. And i do not see ANY config options to allow this. And i looked all over.

So, i'm still back to square 1.
_________________
Time Warrior
http://www.legalmusicsearch.com
Back to top
st3vie
Skale Administrator


Joined: 13 Nov 2002
Posts: 641
Location: Beverwijk, The Netherlands

Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject:

well, first thing... you do have v0.81?

anyway, assuming you have, when you select save module, you should see the save module window and on the top, there is 'sample quality', with the options perfect/16bit/8bit/adpcm/ogg.

-st3vie
Back to top
Time Warrior
Skale Newbie


Joined: 13 Aug 2005
Posts: 34
Location: Chicago, IL

Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject:

st3vie wrote:
well, first thing... you do have v0.81?



Duh

st3vie wrote:


anyway, assuming you have, when you select save module, you should see the save module window and on the top, there is 'sample quality', with the options perfect/16bit/8bit/adpcm/ogg.

-st3vie


Yep, and I just tried it again and it worked. I must have misclicked in the saving proccess without realizing it. Thats one bad thing about a "mouse interface" ... the mouse version of typos

The only other thing that doesn't seem to work is "colors" and yes i clicked that it made sure it was in fact activated

The colors working or not of course isn't a big deal -- I just think it's kinda cool
_________________
Time Warrior
http://www.legalmusicsearch.com
Back to top
st3vie
Skale Administrator


Joined: 13 Nov 2002
Posts: 641
Location: Beverwijk, The Netherlands

Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject:

hmm, strange that the colors don't work. By default this option is activated on startup i believe and the colors button should be a sort of red.

Also note, when you haven't assigned a color to the instruments yet, you should still be able to see a difference when you turn it on/off between grey/white note colors.

-st3vie
Back to top
vereiser
Skale Moderator


Joined: 04 Nov 2004
Posts: 314
Location: Berlin, Germany

Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject:

Time Warrior wrote:
The only other thing that doesn't seem to work is "colors" and yes i clicked that it made sure it was in fact activated


See that thread http://skale.binarydeception.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2194&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=colors&sid=11ec911325fb12d1d25b32a8a0c70000
_________________
http://www.vereiser.de

Intel Pentium 4 / 2,8 GHz / 1 GB DDR / WinXP Prof. / Hoontech DSP24 Value (multichannel soundcard)
Back to top
Time Warrior
Skale Newbie


Joined: 13 Aug 2005
Posts: 34
Location: Chicago, IL

Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject:

vereiser wrote:
Time Warrior wrote:
The only other thing that doesn't seem to work is "colors" and yes i clicked that it made sure it was in fact activated


See that thread http://skale.binarydeception.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2194&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=colors&sid=11ec911325fb12d1d25b32a8a0c70000


Ok, that helped == but there seems tpo only be a limited amount of colors and when you load a new song those settings go bye-bye. Then if you load the original song back after that, they're still gone.

For the most color options i'd suggest using HTML Hex Colors (theres no shortage of those lol) and it would be cool if the color settings would "stick" perminently.

Unless of course I somehow missed something -- thats entirely possible as well.
_________________
Time Warrior
http://www.legalmusicsearch.com
Back to top
st3vie
Skale Administrator


Joined: 13 Nov 2002
Posts: 641
Location: Beverwijk, The Netherlands

Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject:

when saving a single SKI (Skale instrument) the color should be stored as well, though, i'm not sure if that is also the case with Skale modules.

Probably not then, if you say they aren't restored again.

-st3vie
Back to top
Time Warrior
Skale Newbie


Joined: 13 Aug 2005
Posts: 34
Location: Chicago, IL

Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject:

st3vie wrote:
when saving a single SKI (Skale instrument) the color should be stored as well, though, i'm not sure if that is also the case with Skale modules.

Probably not then, if you say they aren't restored again.

-st3vie


Apparently not. No biggie. Rome wasn't built in a day. I do seriously think you guys should check out the Modplug Tracker code though. Seeing as it's open source I think it would help scale. It's got support for other various module formats, etc..
_________________
Time Warrior
http://www.legalmusicsearch.com
Back to top
st3vie
Skale Administrator


Joined: 13 Nov 2002
Posts: 641
Location: Beverwijk, The Netherlands

Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:35 am    Post subject:

yes, i looked at it... and the code sucks.

-st3vie
Back to top
Time Warrior
Skale Newbie


Joined: 13 Aug 2005
Posts: 34
Location: Chicago, IL

Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject:

st3vie wrote:
yes, i looked at it... and the code sucks.

-st3vie


It can't be all that bad. It's not like Modplug has it's own Module Format like with Skale and SKM. I'm sure they used verbatim whatever libraries were available at the time to add the support for all the various formats. It's standard code like that which i'm talking about.

Besides -- as far as I know, Skale is not open source but it is FREE. Modplug on the other hand, is open source. So how do I know that Skale's code doesn't "suck" when theres no basis for comparison?

Even though I'm not a coder, I'm not completely useless either. Plus for what I don't know, as long as code is open source, I can get opinions on a peice of code from more than just a small handful of coders.

From MY viewpoint -- both Skale and Modplug are both very powerful and useful apps -- I think Modplug has alot of features Skale SHOULD have but does not -- but on the other side of the coin i mostly prefer Skale's interface because I used to use FT2.

So I'm gonna push suggestions prett hard to Skale because Skale is my prefered interface, no offense to Modplug Tracker.

Modplug's interface is easier for those who are more used to Impulse Tracker or Scream Tracker. Those interfaces have always confused the piss out of me which is why I loved Fast Tracker ][ and why I prefer Skale. It's straight forward but powerful. The only reason I can do some stuff in MPT is because of the "Windows-Based" GUI that makes it easier -- to an extent (while in other ways that same GUI makes it more confusing as well).

But of all the Trackers out there right now that are being developed i'd say Skale comes in first place and MPT a very close second place. I'm sure there are other Trackers (I even have a copy of FT3 around here someplace) and then of course you have different platforms all together like FruityLoops and Reason -- but IMHO Trackers will always be the easiest to use, most powerful in ability and having the most potential to do amazing things than any other music creation application.

In fact -- the new OGG SKM is right now the ONLY thing that has JUST made FULL VOCALS possible within a module without things getting messy and without files getting huge.

Ok so I went on a rant again. It happens
_________________
Time Warrior
http://www.legalmusicsearch.com
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
       Skale Tracker Forum Index -> Skale Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group